Monday, April 21, 2008

All I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten


Well... I thought I'd spice things up a bit and challenge myself a little more!! After teaching first grade for 5 years (although my first year was K-1) I have decided to leave the comforts of great team mates, a familiar curriculum, and a more desirable classroom to teach Kindergarten!!

Yikes!

I'm excited to take on something new next year and thrilled to be working with my friend, colleague, and mentor Ms. R. I am embracing the change and know that it really is the right time and the right move for me. All that being said I have to be honest and tell you all I'm scared out of my mind. There is a HUGE developmental difference in 1st graders and Kindergarten students and I am worried that I'm not fully aware of what teaching this age group will be like.

I guess I need to freshen up on a few of the finer things:

Share everything.
Play fair.
Don't hit people.
Put things back where you found them.
Clean up your own mess.
Don't take things that aren't yours.
Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
Wash your hands before you eat.
Flush.
Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
Live a balanced life- learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
Take a nap every afternoon.
When you go out into the real world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together.
Be aware of wonder.
Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup- they all die. So do we.
And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned- the biggest word of all- LOOK.

All I really need to know about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in Kindergarten.
~Robert Fulghum

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

fantastic! good luck and thank you for teaching our children:)

Sarah said...

Good luck! I loved teacheing kindergarten! They are so fun - most of the time!

Ashley said...

I've been meaning to tell you congrats about this! I'm excited for you.

Anonymous said...

Very cute!

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you do it. I have great admiration for anyone who works with the little ones. I've done it (taught enrichment Spanish for 20 minutes a day last year), and I've got to tell you, it made me insane.

MadMad said...

Wow! That is a big difference - in K they don't even know how to behave in school yet, so it's on you to teach them! What a huge challenge. (I mean that all in a good way - it sounds bad when I read it, but what I'm trying to say is I think in some ways it's one of the hardest years to teach - which means it matters, and only the best should do it! What an exciting challenge! Awesome! Congrats!

Unknown said...

WOW! Congrads! Changing grade levels might be tough, but kinder is awesome. If you want lots of kinder lesson ideas, I post lessons on my website every day. Lots of them are kinder. Maybe you could link your site to mine?
www.debrennersmith.com