Saturday, October 20, 2007

Teacher Meme

1. I am a good teacher because... I try to relate to each student and I make strong connections with them. I love being responsible for teaching students at such an early age and giving them a positive feeling about school. I love teaching them not only how to read and write, but how to be passionate about reading and writing and how to see themselves (at 6 yrs old) as readers and writers.

2. If I weren't a teacher, I would be... I ask myself this all the time and have come up with very little. I'm often envious of my friends "cool" jobs but I know nothing about what they do and have little faith I could do it myself. I've thought about child psychology before. I always have a hard time answering this question 'cause really all I've wanted to do is teach since I was in kindergarten...lame I know.

3. My teaching style is... interactive, passionate, less me and more of them, fun, collaborative.

4. My classroom is... open, homey, cozy, small, packed full of too much stuff, blue and yellow, attached to two other classrooms.

5. My lesson plans... fit neatly in a 2x2 box in my plan book. They're flexible and often I do my best without a plan.

6. One of my teaching goals is… Currently: Get my national boards. That has consumed me this year. Long term: for my students to love school. Last year: To get through the year without getting fired for child abuse.

7. The toughest part of teaching is... meeting every one's needs: the below grade level kids, the above grade level kids, and everyone in between... oh, and the parent's needs too.

8. The thing I love most about teaching is... the relationship I build with my students and seeing my impact on their lives.

9. A common misconception about teaching is... "What do you do all day? color?" My response, "Spend one day with me."

10. The most important thing I've learned since I started teaching... to not take things personally, to ask for help, to work together, and to stay positive.

2 comments:

LitTeacher said...

I'm going to answer your questions on my blog...it may take a few days, but I'll try!

MadMad said...

I wish my son had you. And I actually love his teacher. But still.